Linka's Boutique on Etsy

Monday, March 22, 2010

God is Good!!! Happy EASTER!!!!


I have to remember to give God the praise for the good work he has done and what Easter is really all about. A year ago, I was fired from my job as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Intern. At the time, I was devastated, but now I see it as a blessing. I might have had experience and education in that area, but it was so stressful.

I am so blessed to be doing what I am now doing. Working with fabric and teaching people how to sew is so much more fun and personally rewarding. When I first started, I really didn't know that it would blossom into what it is today. I struggled for a year on unemployment looking for work half-heartedly and sewing something ever once in awhile. I played with Etsy and opened an account and posted a few things on there. It was great at first because they put my things out front because I was new. Then, it all stopped. Nothing, no more sales. I was discouraged, but not disheartened. I kept on trudging along. Then, someone offered to share a space with them in the French Quarter. I moved into the Vacuum and Sewing Center in the French Quarter, Tyler, Texas. It was just across from the mall. Traffic was great. Business increased. It was tremendous! Then, the bottom fell out. They couldn't afford the $3,000.00 a month rent any more. I certainly couldn't. So, I packed up my two sewing machines, my table, my fabrics, and went home to work, again.

About this time, I am beginning to wonder is this what I am supposed to do. I begin really praying to God and asking him what does he want me to do. I ask Him, how can sewing really glorify Him? He is just now beginning to reveal to me how. God often takes time to answer our questions. He often directs me to the Proverbs 31 woman. That scripture moves me. I feel like I am truly modeling my life after her in that I stay up late nights sewing, I love linen fabric, and I am still trying to figure out what kind of sashes I am supposed to be making. Does hair bows count? LOL

Some time later, I walked into another sewing machine shop to buy a serger and was propositioned again to move into his shop. Waits Sewing Machine Center is located in the Historical part of downtown Tyler on Glendwood and Erwin Street. I thought that having a store front would once again be beneficial, so I moved in. Meeting Rick and Brenda Roberts has been a blessing in many ways. They are such good hearted Christian people always trying to help someone out. We are able to help each other out from time to time. I even have given his daughter riding lessons. Brenda has really blessed me with all her beautiful quilting fabric that she has given me free reign with to design and sell as I please.

Then, I started getting more business from my websites. Business really got good when I walked into CinderBella's. She loved my ideas and ordered several outfits. But business has gotten the best since I gave a Sewing Lesson at Hobby Lobby. My first student has been such a blessing. She spread the word like wildfire that she was blessed, learned alot, and had fun. I believe I'll have several new clients by the end of this month.

Which brings me full circle back to my entire goal on here.

I have to remember my real goal in life is not to make money, but to serve God and others.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and everything else will be added unto you.

May God Bless you all this Easter Season! Thank you for all your business!

1 comment:

  1. im so glad that you have received a good response from people that I know! I knew that there was a need out there, they just didnt know where to go. :) I look forward to our many sewing lessons so I cna learn lots of new stuff :) I will continue to pass your name along :)

    ReplyDelete